Tuesday, December 9, 2008

AHHH! COOKIES!

Living in close proximity to my oldest brother Jordan means he calls "a Rosie" on me every once in awhile. When I was younger and we all lived in the same house my brothers would call "Rosie!" whenever they wanted something of me; a glass of water, a snack, the phone, whatever. My middle name is Rose and it only gets used in this capacity. SO, a few weeks ago I heard the familiar tone being exuded from Jordans lips in the form of "Christmas Cookies for my co-workers." Oh, goodness. Planning ensued.

Plans, recipes, shopping trips, return shopping trips done, Steph (sis-in-law) and I attempted to begin. Of course her daughter Mia (see pic)
decided to hit her terrible two's all on that day. Screaming kid factored into the equation, 4 batches of cookies and one batch of Scoteroos were then my responsiblity alone. Steph attempted several times to rejoin the process only to forget she was melting chocolate on the stovetop...!


We only got through 2 batches and the Scotcheroos yesterday and I fear she won't get to the other two today...


Scotcheroos are an amazing remodeling of the classic rice crispy treats. Disolve 1 cup sugar in 1 cup corn syrup in a saucepan. Add 1 cup peanut butter. Remove from heat and slowly add rice crispies. Pour into 13x9 pan. Melt butterscotch and chocolate chips on stovetop. Spread lavishly over the crispy mix. Let set and enjoy!

I'd never heard of them but Steph claims they are a hit in Iowa (where she is from). Delectable.

4 comments:

  1. Very cute story - you're funny. What a yummy recipe, I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, sounds very tasty (the scotcheroos)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reading my mind and telling me what scotcheroos were right after I asked that question in my head...

    Okay, Mia is absolutely beautiful. Ummm wasn't she like 4 months old yesterday? Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, to answer your question about Christmas Pudding... almost no one makes it in the UK because it's hard to do and you have to start months in advance!! We all just buy it from the store and either steam it or put it in the microwave at Xmas. There are recipes you can try but I'm not sure you'll find all the ingredients in the US. Try this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/richchristmaspudding_8935.shtml

    As for mince pies - they are basically what we in the US call mincemeat pies. In the UK they have them in little individual serving sizes and they are much nicer than the ones in the US. Very Xmassy!

    ReplyDelete