Friday, January 2, 2009

New Years and Oregonians Visit

Happy 2009! Nial and I had a tremendous celebratory New Years. Bryce, Nial's best friend, Lisa, one of my college friends from SOU, and two other friends all came up to visit us. We had a themed party where everyone wore black and it was a hit!



We've had a great time showing our friends Seattle and the surrounding area we live in. We brought Bryce and James (Nial's co-worker from N. Carolina) to Pike Place and went back again to show Lisa today. Nial also took Bryce to Seattle Center to walk around the Space Needle and the awesome architecture of the EMP aka Expericence Music Project. I'm hoping to get to take Lisa and Bryce to the Fremont Troll which is under a bridge in Seattle's neighborhood, Fremont. The troll can be seen in the movie 10 Things I Hate About You, which takes place in Seattle. ALSO, Gasworks Park! We'll see how far we get--- BUT as we're trying to get both Bryce AND Lisa to move here, we're trying pretty hard to show them cool things :D
When Nial first visited with me, thats all I did! Brought him to a concert in Seattle, saw Snoqualamie Falls, spent some time at my favorite secret spot on the Skykomish River, I did all I could to show him how cool Washington is :) I'm devious I know... My mother informed me today that our family's subconsious mission is to take Oregonians from their home state and move them here (Kristin, my sister-in-law is from Roseburg).
Pike Place, for those who don't know is a permanent farmer's market in Seattle on the waterfront. It's named for the cobbled street it lines, Pike Place. The Market is a favorite of mine because of the raw cultural beauty and diversity of all the people and artisans. Everything from fish (classic throwing fish...) to soap to vintage clothes and leatherworks are availible. The fresh flowers are my favorite though I think...or the fruit. Pike Place is also the home of THE VERY FIRST STARBUCKS! Its very brown and vintagey and has shelves of mugs, beans etc with a rolling ladder to reach it all.


Vendors and artisans rent out the stalls on the main arcade and have to set up and take down every day. Others who are downstairs on one of the other 2-3 levels (there is about a zillion ramps and honestly don't know how to count the levels...) can rent space for long periods of time. Its a wonderful mix because the main arcade is ever changing while the other levels and the opposite side of the street are constant.






Post Alley runs diagonally through Pike Place, its home to many interesting things, the Market Theater, some wine tasting rooms, some amazing graffiti art and Seattle's Own.... (drumroll!) GUM WALL! This wall has more gum on it than the CDC would ever allow. Travellers of the alley have seen fit to mark this wall with their spittle in very creative ways; some is draped, pulled, decorated, some is in the shapes of initials or pictures... It is quite hilarious. I am truly glad the owner of the building has not found it in his heart to destroy such a disgusting piece of urban culture. This photo really does not do it justice.

Monday everything goes back to RESPONSIBILITY. I'm so disappointed. Neither Nial or I have had to work for the past two weeks so Monday will seem really alien. I actually am starting school again- just Community college (save some $$$$!) so that will be cool. I guess....
Bryce has decided to stay with Nial for another week in search of a job so we've been doing a fairly good job convincing him it seems :) Who's next?!!!! (evil cackle ensues)

2 comments:

  1. I used to live in Seattle and have been to Pike Place Mkt a millon times but have never seen the GUM WALL!! I gotta go back!
    Are you guys gonna come down to Ashland and see us when we come out at Easter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man! We've got to come up this year and use you for a tour guide!

    I hope that if Bryce moves up he doesn't become competition for your time with Nial. My sister-in-law is having issues with her hubby spending more time with his best buddy than with her. I wouldn't be surprised if Bryce moves up though...those two have been inseperable their whole lives.

    ReplyDelete