Friday, April 17, 2009

Easter Trip Part I


We made it down to Ashland via the coast last week for an amazing trip to see Nial's family. Wednesday morning we left, got only an hour down I-5 and blew a tire! Luckily for me, Nial is an excellent taker-offer-of-molten-shredded-tire-putter-on-a-spare guy and we were on our way to a Les Schwab within 5 minutes. Also lucky for me he has an internal GPS for Les Schwab and drove us straight there... (internal GPS also works for fishes) We were given the VERY LAST tire that was our size and when I went to pay for it he told me "no need for that." and handed me back my card! Free tire!

We got to Winchester Bay by hwy 38. We met up with Kevin who gave us a tour of his ATV shop and then asked us if we wanted to go out on the dunes!!! Heck yes! I've never been and I didn't realize how immense they are!!! The 3 of us went out on a side-by-side and it was super fun. He scared me repeatedly but it was such a blast! Like a roller-coaster ride. After that, we went out for some pizza and then watched WALLE in the toy hauler/trailer that we all spent the night in.

The next day we said good-bye to Kevin and headed to Sunset Bay. We were going to go to the Redwoods but decided (after much deliberation) that we would just spend more time on the Coast. Nial led me behind Sunset Bay up a trail that leads to the cliff that overlooks a little cove. Secret Cove. He took me to the edge of the forested cliff, to a spot where you can climb through a tree's roots and down the face. One particular root sticks out from the others forming a big hole that you can drop through. Nial walked out to the immense protruding root and stood on it. I didn't realize he was waiting for me to follow until he had this look on his face.... so I went to join him. He got down on one knee and I still didn't realize what was happening (!!!) So I bent down and kissed him like he had fallen or something.? FINALLY, I realized what he was doing! He said some honest, loving things and asked me to marry him. I said YES of course and he kissed me and we almost fell down the cliff.





We hiked down the hole and to the beach. Nial carved our names in a rock and we walked out to the point. Then the tide began coming in. Super. We more/less got stuck out there and had to full-bore rock climb around the point, across the bay and back to the trailhead. The rocks were slippery and covered in algae. Oh well it was an adventure!!
We took off down 101 after cleaning up a little in the park bathroom. We visited Dave, a former co-worker of Nial's in Myrtle Point then went to Myrtle Point to walk through Tiana and Hyrum's house! So cool, I hadn't really been inside it ever, the windows are fabulous and huge but my favorite part is the arched entryway. I'm excited to see the progress next time we're down. Nial got a hold of Tiana and found out they were at their shop in Coquille so we went back again to see them. I got to see their shop and see some of the cabinets pieces they are putting in their new home. It was great and I finally got to meet baby Paisli!

Back in the car we had to speed to Ashland to make Dallas' Board of Review for his Eagle Project. When we got to the Cluff Homestead Diana and I sewed on some patches of Nial's together.

Part II later... these are getting beefy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nial...I'm guessing this isn't going to happen again, but I have a request. Please don't propose to Elle next to any cliffs or other landforms that might be dangerous for her to fall into!

    Again, it's just a request, but I'm pretty sure you want to keep her around, so...yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice story. I'll never be able to look at Secret Cove the same way again.

    So glad to have had the chance to get to know you better. We loved spending time with you guys and can't wait to see you again.

    I've decided that if you get married around the same time as Kaylynn I'll fly out for it. No pressure though! Given the kind of engagement present we gave you, you might not want me around at your wedding - if just to avoid the gift!!

    ReplyDelete